Tuesday, April 21

Can I be six again?

Photo courtesy of and taken by Leanne at See the Woods and the Trees.
Following the Craftzine Twitter feed has never disappointed me, and paid off once again with this genius idea from See the Woods and the Trees, linked to this morning. Leanne helped her daughter make a four room dollhouse using reclaimed catalog pages and some cardboard. The result is so cute that it makes me want to have a toddler of my own just to have a socially-acceptable excuse to play with it.

I think it could be made even more eco-friendly by using old cereal boxes or somesuch reused material as the walls. Want a second story? Place another layer of cardboard on top of the first floor, then make another level. (This gives you the chance to paste a floor down, too.)

Best of all, since the dollhouse folds up, it doesn't have to take up a lot of room when it's put away. You could have dozens of setups ready for mixing and matching, and only use a few inches of bookshelf space to store it all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for linking to this. We're still in the middle of making the wooden version and decorating it in leftovers from our own house. And we got sidetracked making a fort along the same lines:)

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

Leanne, I am glad to -- it's such a cute idea! I just emailed you to see if I could use some pictures from your post in here. Yay or nay? :)

Sebastian Anthony said...

That's lovely, and so very reminiscent of those books I so dearly loved as a child. You know, the caterpillar one, which has holes in, and you turn it from page to page... (you have that one in the USA, right? Have I been too vague?)

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

Sebastian, are you talking about The Very Hungry Caterpillar? I loved that book. :)